Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Rainbow Dots!!

Hello! It seems like FOREVER since I have posted a new design (sorry!).  I actually did a few different nail designs this week (which you may have seen me post pictures of on facebook) but I was not very pleased with the results.  Until I can perfect those ones, I do have one I liked and would love to share with you.....rainbow dots!!  See the end result below:


I have always loved when nail designs incorporated dots....but I though I could never get that look without making a mess.  I came to find out that people use these "dotting tools" (see below), and these tools are supposed to make the perfect little dots on your nails.  This is great, but I could not find any of these tools anywhere....and I am not a fan of shopping online.

So, of course I was surfing pinterest the other day, and came across a DIY version of these dotters.  You can make one of these tools by simply taking a pencil with an eraser and sticking a nail or pin in the eraser!! You can vary the size of the dot by how big or small the nail or pin is! Here is where I got the idea:


Now, I could only find one size nail in my house, so I had to go with that, but I do plan to get some smaller nails so I can make smaller dots! Here is my version:


Ok, so to start this project I picked four nail polish colors. I decided to go with a summery rainbow effect.  I put a couple of dots of each of these colors on a paper plate so I could dab my "dotter" in the paint easily.  Now I decided I wanted to do a practice run on my plate so I knew how the dots were going to turn out before I started dotting my nails. 



Since I had a game plan I was ready to start! I started with a white base....surprise, surprise! :) I figured it would make the colors stand out more....plus it is so in fashion right now!! I then decided to start with the lightest color (yellow) and started making dots!


You will learn real fast how much paint you need for each dot and how much pressure to apply (this is why I suggest practicing on the plate first).  I found that I just needed to barely dip the nail into the paint, or else my dot was too big. Once I finished with one color I moved on to the next:


You see where this is headed...once you are done, wait for it to dry!! I am talking seriously dry, or else when you put your top coat on, it will smear all of the dots, and all of your hard work for neat dots will go down the drain!!  Here is the finished result!

No comments:

Post a Comment